Thursday, November 3, 2016

Odds & ends

  • It's November.  Will I be writing an "I hate November" post? A lot has changed over the past few years that has had me soften my position somewhat -- although I don't think it will ever be my favourite month. Lots of changes this past year as well. Of course, the outcome of the U.S. election could have a big impact on how I feel, for better or worse...!  ;)  I guess time will tell...
  • My blogrolls are back in the sidebar!! Yay!! 
  • In the continuing saga of the scented air freshener outside our door in the hallway, you'll recall that dh unplugged the thing & moved it down the hall. A couple of days ago,  he noticed that it had disappeared completely. The one at the other end of the hallway was still there, which makes us think that someone down the hall liked having an air freshener outside their door about as much as we did. Hopefully management/the board will get the hint...
  • I recently read this interview in The Atlantic with Belle Boggs, author of "The Art of Waiting" (which I haven't read yet, but really want to now...!). As the tagline says, "Belle Boggs explores the meaning of infertility in a culture that venerates parenthood above all else." I thought they covered some really excellent points. What happens when ARTs don't work?  (Spoiler alert: Boggs did eventually have a child.) Have a read & let me know your thoughts!

3 comments:

  1. Where did Belle Bogg'S come from? She's absolutely amazing and insightful, especially talking about "fate" and disenfranchised grief. Many thoughts on this and some of her other interviews.

    Glad to hear the air fresheners have disappeared. But if I was a member of your board, I would assume they were stolen for personal use. Hopefully they just don't notice, but if another appears shoot them an email letting them know it bothers you. I would be so horrified and immediately do away with them

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a big November fan either, but maybe for different reasons. Good that the air fresheners disappeared. Those things are invasive. Hmmm, I will have to add Belle Boggs' book to my list. I do in some weird, bitter way enjoy the books more where the magical child does not appear, where there is no "Miracle," but that seems to be a smaller set of narratives. It won't stop me from reading it, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I wrote that without reading the interview first, and I think I am a little in love with Belle Boggs for this sentence, "I think we still have this fertility narrative that emphasizes the miraculous and deemphasizes choice." Sold on her book, what an insightful and empathetic lady.

    ReplyDelete