Monday, July 31, 2017

#MicroblogMondays: Vacation odds & ends

  • Writing to you this week from my parents' home, where we're spending some time (as we usually do during the summer).  
  • It's been horribly hot & humid all week here. (Yesterday was 32C, 40C humidex -- that's about 90F & 104F, for those of you south of the border. :p )  I'm trying not to complain too much, especially since it's been raining constantly back home. But thank goddess for air conditioning...! (Although my parents can never agree on when/whether it should be turned on, and to what temperature...!)  
  • My sister was here on her vacation this past week. I've often said we don't have a "Hallmark" sort of relationship. But she's mellowed a lot in recent years -- and damn, she can make me laugh sometimes... 
  • My mother has not driven me nuts. (Yet.) (I'll just bite my cybertongue and leave that one at that...!) 
  • (Okay, just one...!)  My mother is prone to moaning that "we have no little kids in this family!" Usually more at Christmastime than summertime -- and she did mean the entire extended family, including my cousins & their kids, who are mostly grown up now -- but she said that more than once this past week. :p  I try to ignore her and not feel too guilty. Even if Katie were here, she would hardly qualify as "little" any more...!  
  • We do have (most fortunately!) the Little Princesses (Parents' Neighbours Granddaughters, ages 5 & 2), who are back from "Summer Paradise" (their grandparents' cottage) & popping by every other day or so to enchant (& exhaust) us. They are both growing up very quickly! 
  • Finished one book & about halfway through another -- "Dark Money" by Jane Mayer. Full review to come when I'm done -- but let me say right now that it is extremely well-researched and well-written. It's also infuriating, terrifying and downright depressing. But don't let that deter you from reading it. This is a book that NEEDS to be read. RIGHT NOW.   
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here.  

4 comments:

  1. Oh dear, I'm sorry about your mother's comments. Mothers tend to do that - I blame the generational difference, as well as aging, which seems to involve an increased focus on themselves and not others. You shouldn't feel guilty. It wasn't your fault. I know you know that. I also know it doesn't hurt to hear it sometimes.

    I'm not sure I'm keen on reading a book that is infuriating, terrifying and downright depressing. Real life is a bit like that already!

    Glad you're enjoying the Little Princesses, and that you had some laughs with your sister.

    High humidity 32C is too hot for me.

    Enjoy the rest of your holiday/vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch. I know she's speaking without thinking, and we all do it, but the comment stings. Sending a hug. I'm glad you're getting this time with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Old people just love the little ones as it just reminds them when they had little ones or even theirs. They ought to put daycares next to seniors homes. Of course, then they might complain about the noise. Still it's that reminder of what was lost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dropping by to say hello. I'm updating a few posts and catching up on blog reading. Thanks, too, for the reading tip. The dark side of politics are certainly getting more attention these days!

    ReplyDelete