Monday, July 17, 2017

#MicroblogMondays: Odds & ends

  • The local megabookstore has had an all-Canadian playlist as background music this month, no doubt in honour of Canada 150. I've been enjoying hearing (and struggling not to sing along with, lol) some old favourites ("The Hockey Game" by Stompin' Tom Connors, anyone?? ;)  ), and some I haven't heard in eons (Valdy!). And even a rousing version of "Farewell to Nova Scotia," which I can still sing along to in its entirety -- we sang it ad nauseum in music class in grade school. (Imagine a bunch of Prairie kids, living about as far away from the ocean as it's possible to be, singing, "But a poor simple sailor just like me/Must be tossed and be driven on the dark blue sea..."). 
  • Gallstones have been giving me grief lately. :(  With the possible exception of having my wisdom teeth removed (all four at once!) when I was in my early 30s (is that considered surgery? -- dental surgery, sure...), I have never had surgery -- and I have no desire to start now, but may have to consider it (may not have a choice...) if this continues... :(  
    • I think I've mentioned this before, but I remember reading that there's a co-relation between high estrogen levels and gallstone formation... which is one reason why it's so common among pregnant or post-partum women. And, perhaps, women going through infertility treatment? I remember my RE commenting at one point in my cycle that my estrogen levels were sky high. Infertility, the gift that just keeps on giving... 
    • I do have genetics in my favour/to blame too -- my dad, and apparently all of my aunts & uncles on his side of the family, and some cousins to boot, have had their gallbladders removed.
    • Has anyone else out there had issues with gallstones? Gallbladder removal surgery? 
  • One of dh's cousin's daughters just had a baby early this morning. Her FOURTH!! Beyond jealousy at the ease with which she seems to get & stay pregnant (not to mention regain her slender figure...!), I am beyond awed that anyone has the energy (let alone can afford) to raise four children these days...!!  
  • Looking forward to a much-needed mani-pedi later this week! :)  (Even better, I have a gift certificate for it!)  
  • When did the neighbours across the back fence (across the construction site behind our condo building) paint the brick on their house??  I just noticed this morning. 
  • The neighbours next door to them were having their eavestroughs cleaned this morning. I was watching a guy strolling casually around their rooftop with a hose, spraying them out. (Yes, we are nosy retiree neighbours, lol.)  
You can find more of this week's #MicroblogMondays posts here

9 comments:

  1. I had to laugh at the thought of all the land-locked kids singing about the sea. Much like all the kids in New Zealand singing Christmas carols about winter wonderlands and sleighs bells jingling!

    My sister had gallstones, and felt SO much better after surgery. It sucks that it might be oestrogen-related though. (When I think of it, she might have had them post-partum.)

    Yeah, I don't get people have lots of kids. And these days, four qualifies as "lots!"

    Enjoy your guilt-free (I love gift vouchers) mani-pedi!

    Ahh, the joys of having a view. You can watch what's going on with all the neighbours! (I'm the same - keep an eye out on people walking around on houses below us.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a retiree and I'm still nosy! But it works because hubs and I live in an older neighborhood (one neighbor has sixty years on me-literally) and it's nice that everybody keeps an eye out for everybody else.

    Regarding the gallbladder, I've had issues for years, It all started in my early 20s (ironically they asked me at that time how many kids I had) and I've dealt with it since then. The biggest things that trigger an attack are pork of any kind and if I eat too much greasy food. The greasy food isn't so bad, but the poke is hard, especially because hubs' Italian relatives love to put sausage in EVERYTHING and then get a little offended when I don't eat my body weight in whatever is being served. Whole milk also bothers me, but not nearly as much as it used to. I still have mine, but hubs had his out probably about 11 years ago. He has a couple of little pinhole incisions and he recovered quickly (which is saying something because he does not handle any sort of pain well).

    And four kids?!?! Holy Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went for brunch that morning/afternoon & I had a ham & Swiss omelette -- which tasted great but I guess I wound up paying for it...! I have eggs & bacon other times, though, & I'm fine -- go figure?? I've also noticed the Haagen-Dasz ice cream bars I love seem to be a trigger, so I've been trying to avoid those. LOL re: the Italian relatives getting offended when you dont' eat your body weight... I can relate!!

      Delete
  3. I am 18 months post gall bladder surgery and the only thing I can say is that I wish I had it out sooner. Like after my very first attack. Mine was taken out laparoscopicly, so I had 5 very small incisions and it was done on an out patient basis. I went to the hospital at 6am on a Monday and was home before noon. I slept the rest of that day and most of the night. By Thursday I was driving and taking my dogs (good non-leash pulling) dogs around the park. I wasn't 100% but I'd say my energy level was "getting over a lousy cold" level. I only took 700mg ibuprofen for pain and stopped after a week. I have had zero side effects, can eat anything I like without issues and only occasionally (less than once a month) need a Prilosec. I highly recommend having it out as soon as you can but not during an active attack. Everyone I've talked to that had the surgery during an attack needed drains and a couple night hospital stay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gallstones definitely run in the family - my friend, who's 44, just had hers removed; her dad, sister, aunt and grandparents all had their gallbladders removed in their 40s or 50s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a fan of painting brick.

    Not a fan of inflamed gall bladders. I hope you are able to find easy resolution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like (or understand the appeal of) painted brick either -- not sure why they did it. I've seen it done on a lot of older houses -- and also older painted houses sandblasted to expose the original brick, with great results. This house is only about 30 years old.

      Delete
  6. I love Farewell to Nova Scotia! It was one of Truman's favourite songs to listen to in the car.

    Sending good thoughts with the gallstones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother in law had his gall bladder out and recovered in about 2 days total. No more intense pain and ER visits for him. Get it done and get it over with, I say.

    ReplyDelete